Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Many of you already know that Kevin fell rollerblading yesterday with a brief loss of consciousness.[1] He refused transport, by ambulance or neighbors, and has a memory lapse of about 3.5 hours. He agreed to see our family practitioner this morning. She took one look at his unwrapped wrist (I splinted it last night) and said it's dislocated, probably fractured, and he could either wait several hours to get in to an orthopedist or go directly to the ER for x-rays. Since old paratroopers never die,[2] he decided to do neither of those things. Instead he got a much-needed haircut, picked up a proper wrist splint, and prepared for an interview scheduled for 1 PM.

I saw him off with plenty of time, printed paperwork in a folder and his netbook charged and packed with its cooling pad. At the last minute I handed him my phone. I'm glad I did, because 20 minutes later he called to say the Mustang's engine cut out while he was on the way to the interview. He planned to cross a nearby overpass to a gas station and get the car towed. In the meanwhile, he talked to the recruiter (he did not have a phone number for the client) and will reschedule. I hope the client makes an offer; the previous screens and interview went well and we got the impression the client thinks he's a good fit.

When it rains, it pours. Also, always wear appropriate safety gear for sports.

1. Most surreal moment: a neighbor kid asked "Is he dead?". I replied, "No, people can't be dead and breathing."

2. Old paratroopers never die, they just go to hell and regroup.


ETA: The Mustang turned out to have a broken coil wire, a fairly simple and inexpensive fix. We'll pick her up from the shop tomorrow since our bank decided to go back on the "we will release part of your latest deposit Tuesday and the remainder Wednesday" after we verified that policy with a supervisor, purchased a cashier's check in our local branch to pay rent, and checked the balance before he left. (Will straighten that out in the morning.) Kevin didn't want me to ask any of "my" friends for a ride, so he started walking. Two and a half miles in, a stranger stopped and offered him a ride the rest of the way home.


Apr. 13th, 2010 09:52 pm (UTC)
It turned out to just be a broken coil wire, so it's an inexpensive fix. Unfortunately he can't take the car home today, as our bank decided to put a hold on the entire amount of a check we deposited /after/ releasing part of the funds earlier today. (We were told when we deposited that only part of it would be released today and we were expecting that to actually happen.)

I know things are going to get better, it's just really messy at the moment.

The interview location is probably busable (I haven't looked it up) but it's moot for now until we have cash.

ETA: I just checked the bus schedules and yes, the interview location is busable, two connections with a short walk from the bus stop to the building.

Edited at 2010-04-13 10:29 pm (UTC)


Default 2014
Melissa, starry-eyed soy-lovin' Expatriated Zulu

Latest Month

March 2015


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow