Animal cruelty aside, here's my argument for it:
- If I wanted a dog, I'd get one.
- If I had a dog, I'd keep it in my own yard unless it was being walked on a leash -- it's the neighborly thing to do and is required by law in many places.
- If I could afford to fence in my yard (and the landlord would allow it), I would.
- I have a two-year-old that I'd rather not have accidentally mauled by someone else's dog. Hardly any of the neighbors keep their dogs in their own yard, and one in particular seems to enjoy knocking small children down and "gnawing" on them.
- Dog feces is bad in compost piles (which, unlike the garbage-burning neighbors, I have).
- I'm tired of going outside at least once a day to shoo other people's dogs out of my yard... and talking to the neighbors hasn't made a difference.
So there you go. Agree or not, I'm a decent shot and if the neighbors can't or won't be responsible for keeping their dogs out of my yard, I'll do it for them.